Safety and Security Director
The Safety and Security Director will work closely with the Emergency Team and the Regional Security Director/Manager to carry out safety and security assessments; make recommendations and provide support for their implementation by Emergency Response. The Safety and Security Director will facilitate the implementation of Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards within the Emergency Response and help drive systemic change in the quality of safety and security management and contribute to building country compliance with safety and security Minimum Standards. S/he will also take forward the organizational security ethos. The post holder will play a key role in the capacity building of Safety & Security Focal Points also responsible to recruit/identify and capacity build of national safety and security Advisor who can take up this role by the end of this assignment. The post holder will be a member of the SMT.
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a related field
· Formal security qualification or advanced security management training
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Advanced level of understanding with the philosophy and mode of operation of NGOs
· Recommended a minimum of 5 years field based experience in complex and insecure settings, preferably in more than one country with large teams of staff
· Experience in liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with regional, national and international institutions
· Experience of incident reporting, incident mapping, intelligence collation and analysis functions, set up and execution of an incident warning system (warden system), compilation of security reports and assessments
· Strong analytical capacity, resourcefulness and creativity in developing the role of security within programmes and ensuring the most effective support to line management
· Ability to balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
· Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
· Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
· Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
· Willingness to work and travel in often difficult and insecure environments
· Competency in Internet and Microsoft Office systems including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and other database/mapping systems
· Commitment to Save the Children values
· Operational experience in post war / disaster affected environments with NGO,
· Operational programming experience.
· Experience living and working in Iraq or neighbouring countries
· Fluent in Arabic/Kurdish
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
· No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
· All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
· Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Date advertised: 6 Nov 2019
Closing date: 20 Nov 2019 - 00:59 +03
Location: Erbil, Iraq
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time